||This page (and all pages in the Tech: namespace) is a developer discussion about a feature that is either proposed for inclusion in JAMWiki or one that has already been implemented. This page is NOT documentation of JAMWiki functionality - for a list of documentation, see Category:JAMWiki.
Currently JAMWiki has three topics that are used globally to build pages: StyleSheet, LeftMenu, BottomArea. These should be moved to the JAMWiki: namespace. Additionally, use of global topics should be expanded to allow additional customization and flexibility. See the following pages for Mediawiki's implementation:
- Move global topics to the JAMWiki: namespace and rename for clarity and consistency with Mediawiki where applicable:
- Create a new JAMWiki:SiteNotice topic to allow administrators to create an alert that appears at the top of every page. See (mediawiki:Manual:Interface/Sitenotice).
- Create a new JAMWiki:Custom.css topic that allows administrators to override the StyleSheet / JAMWiki:System.css CSS:
- The impetus behind this change is that upgrades would only change the StyleSheet / JAMWiki:System.css, so sites would more easily be able to maintain customizations.
- Both files would be concatenated and rendered as jamwiki.css, the same as what is currently done with the StyleSheet topic.
Some additional notes:
- A mechanism for customizing site <meta> tags would also be useful, although system topics may not be the way to implement that.
- Security will be a concern with these system topics - current all system topics are admin-only, but that might need to be made more flexible if there will be a significant number of such topics. Perhaps create a new permission for editing system topics?
- Caching will need to be considered. Putting any wiki text in a system topic that cannot be cached would obviously be problematic.